Friday 10 February 2017

Waimate-Walkouaiti 10th February.

90 miles(10 of those in the wrong direction) I had been cycling about 20 miles when suddenly I heard a crack.

 First thought I may have snapped a spoke, but then realised it was the central bolt on my headset, that had sheared in two, leaving part of the screw still in the headset. I had also lost the two screws that hold the handlebars in place.

 Bike completely unridable!!!! Oh ....!
 After initial panic flagged down a guy who was spraying weed killer along the roadside verge. He told me there was a town 10 miles ahead and better still he was prepared to take me and bike into town.

 Second stroke of luck, fairly large town, with two bike shops(unusual to say the least). First was unable to help me, but the 2nd came up trumps and managed to get the remainder screw out and replace with new.

 While chatting to mechanic, (also owner), mentioned my favourite bike shop in UK(Pearsons) and the fact that they were family run and the oldest bike shop in U.K. Well guess what? Martyns Cycles in Oamaru is also family run and is also the oldest bike shop in NZ!!!! Sycronicity, or something!!!! So a big thank you to Brent Martyn. Just in case anyone is wondering, yes I cycled back to the breakdown spot!!!

Yes I know, bonkers!!! But I planned to do end to end and that's what I am doing!!! Hence the 10 miles in the wrong direction.

2 comments:

  1. Well done you.....must have been a scary moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, momentarily, I thought that's it. I won't be able to go on, so very relieved. Xx

      Delete