Thursday 2 February 2017

Mangaweka -Otaki 2nd February

89 Miles. Managed to pack up the tent and get ten miles in before the rain started.
 Heavy rain all day, but once your wet your wet, might as well carry on!!! Not cold, so just about bareable.
Hot Chocolate in Hunterville, a lorry driver offered me a lift at this stop(very tempting), but refused. He asked where I was heading. Told him I'd like to get a ferry to South Island late Friday, he said you'll never do it.
 Anyone who knows me, would know that a statement like that, is a bit like a red rag to a bull. As it happens have arrived with plenty of time to get to late ferry, unfortunately no space on that ferry, so  booked on the 2.30. 45 miles to get there, should be ok, with early start.
Second hot chocolate at Bulls(named after an English settler, that pretty much owned everything). At this stop also had the most delicious warm chocolate crossiant. May not be the most nutritious cycling food, but did the trick in this case.
 Arrived in Otaki about 3.30pm, but struggled to find accommodation, no camping as still very heavy rain.
I can hear my brother from here, you should have booked!"
Eventually found a room at The railway hotel, certainly seen better day, probably in the 1800's. Seems to house truck drivers, with a gaming bar downstairs, very classy! Anyway it's a bed(certainly sleeping in my sleeping bag). Booked room in Picton, South Island for tomorrow as no camp sites, hopefully a little more salubrious!

2 comments:

  1. Very welcome after being soaked through for hours, I'm sure.....I'm doing the Pilgrim's Challenge this weekend and we might get the tail end of a storm from the US.....will probably get exceeding wet too!

    ReplyDelete