Saturday 25 February 2017

Korotogo 25th February

Post script to yesterdays post. As I sat drinking my beer a local couple (Fijian and Australian)came into the bar for a drink. The manager of the hotel joined them followed by a English couple who live here and a Japanese man, also resident here. They invited me to join them. The manager supplied copious amounts of fizz, what a treat!!

 This morning went on a reef walk with Bill from my hotel,very interesting. He pointed out the blue starfish, Clams, Sea worms and Sea Cucumbers. The blue star fish look like a child's toy. I had seen one before,when snorkelling and thought how strange that a child's toy was on the sea bed!

 Bill also took me on a bicycle tour around the village. Apparently a famous Fijian rugby player (sevens) comes from the village and they have a big billboard up advertising the fact.  His name is Jasa Veremalua.

Bill has invited me to go to his village tomorrow, for a church service and to meet his family. Each village in Fiji has a chief and when a guest comes to the village they should bring a gift of Kava(a root used to make a drink). So off I went to town to get this rather strange looking gift and some sweets for the children of the village, as apparently that will also be expected. I went on the local bus again, this one had no windows or door, I suppose it reduces the need for air con.

While in the market, I bought cooked corn on the cob for my lunch, from a lady called Eleanor, who was selling her wears, accompanied by her small daughter.




No comments:

Post a Comment