Thursday 19 January 2017

Sydney- Katoomba -19th January.

Two hour train ride out of Sidney, up into the Blue mountains. Staying in a small town called Katoomba, a hint of hippy mixed in with a touch of hillbilly.  Arrived at lunchtime, strange sight as I arrived at my guesthouse.  A small group of people gathered looking at the floor, a guy beckoned me over to announce "look a funnel web spider, the most dangerous spider in the world". (Checked on google, this is true, it's the most aggressive spider, attacking its victim and not letting go, until it has injected all its venom, can kill in twenty minutes, nice!!!). Took a quick photo and best a hasty retreat. Nobody, seemed that worried, but I'm keeping my windows well and truly tonight.  Staying in a very quaint 'bed and breakfast', I have a four poster bed.

Had a great walk to echo point(very misty), walked down to the valley floor, where I got a much better view of the 'three sisters', three rock formations on the cliff side.  Legend recounts that there were three sisters in one community on the hillside and three young men in an opposing community on another hillside. These young men had designs on the three sisters.  To protect them, the magic man of the community turned the sisters into stone, while a battle with the other village took place.  Unfortunately the magic man was killed in the battle and no other knew how to turn the sisters back to humans.   So there they stand, three rocks, waiting for another magic man to come along!!!!

I walked along the valley floor for a couple of hours and then back up a very steep set of stairs, I think the exercise helped my back.

Out to dinner, fancied a glass of wine.  It appears custom is generally to 'bring your own'.  Bought half a bottle from the ' bottle shop' next to the restaurant.  Possibly a bit too much for me to drink, but I'll have a go!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Eeeek.......just got an anti-venom pump for the desert......very much hope I won't need it! Looks lovely, even with the mist. Mum tried to contact you last night but her and Conan had some technical issues!!! Take care! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the anti venom works really well. Wondered, is there some close by??

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Yes, beautiful, even in the mist. Contacting mum an Co, not easy!!!!

      Delete