Friday 27 January 2017

Paparoa - New Lynn 27th January

Finally got here at 8.30pm after a 92mile ride!!!! Not doing that again! I was seriously worried at one point that I just wouldn't get here and would need to check in another hotel, but at that point there were no hotels.
Did I mention the hills!!!! I don't think I have ever used the 'granny gear' on my bike quite so much,
  ( For the unitiated that is the easiest gear on a bike, rarely used).
  My Garmin is playing up as per usual, so all evidence of my rides and elevation climbed  ( 1500 metres plus climbed on Thursday and again the same on Friday)  dissapeared, apart from in my muscles and butt!! There were some spectacular views along the way, but my need to keep moving prevented all but a couple of photos.
Met a fire warden at one of my stops, at the top of a hill. He had past me on the road and was asking. me about my ride.  He was travelling around checking fire risk. At the moment it is moderate in the Auckland area. When up in the Northlands I had seen signs that there it was high, with a total ban on any type of outside fire.  The warden told me that was likely furthe south into February as the weather becomes dryer.
On arrival, quick shower and then for food and bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment