Monday 23 January 2017

Auckland - Kaitaia 23rd January

Spent a lot of the day travelling north. Yola and Ron very kindly got up at daybreak to drive me to the bus station. Negotiation with bus driver about transporting my bike required front wheel off and chain covered. Not too much hassle. The drive through the countryside confirmed that NZ is hilly,a little surprised how hilly! Good job I quite like hills!

Saw a couple of touring cyclists along the road, from bus, which was encouraging. Also had a chat with a road cyclist who came alongside me as I cycled back to my motel. I asked him about safety on the roads, pleased to hear that he felt the roads are reasonably safe here and he cycles hundreds of miles.

Arrived in Kaitaia mid afternoon, a small NZ town (photo below) . There was enough time to have a little cycle through the town, buy something for dinner and sort out a mobile to use in NZ. All set to get my last leg of transportation north in the morning, then(at last) I will start to ride south. Weather ok, though apparently not as warm as should be for this time of year(around 20 degrees). Set to warm up as the week goes on. I have been warned numerous times that the sun here is fierce, even when it's not that warm. Sun cream is vital!!!


2 comments:

  1. Glad it's going well......it's fecking freezing here! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I am certainly not missing the cold. Xx

      Delete