Saturday 14 January 2017

Ho Chi Minh -14th January.

Today spent day in Ho Chi Minh. Started the day by trying to replace a UniGlo Jacket I have managed to lose,(cheap, but very useful), no idea how I managed to lose it, but these things happen. Searched the internet for a store, one in Sydney and a potential reference to one here in HCM.
 Thought I'd give it a go and see if I could find the one here.

Never used Uber before, but thought why not give it a go? Option for motorbike cheaper? He arrived in three minutes(see photo below) and off we go. A great ride right through the city (uptown and downtown!). Red lights? No problem, just straight up on the pavement for my driver, appears common practice here. Trip akin to a fairground ride, (as long as you keep the potential dangers out of your mind). Eventually found the shop, sort of UniGlo, but not quite. Oh well, there's always Sydney. Ride there and back was fun. Half an hour each way,plus waiting time 60,000.00. (£1.88) and driver seemed very happy with that.

 Then for a wander round the city stating in Ben Thanh Market, everything you could imagine on sale. Stopped for a glass of my latest favourite drink 'Chanh Muoi', either lemon or lime salted, sweet drink, delicious. Sights of HCM visited today, town hall, Opera house and a spectacular post office.
 This was followed by a visit to the war remnants museum (harrowing experience), little else to say, other than I left there feeling fairly depressed, which matched the weather, thunderstorm brewing.
 However, spirits were quickly lifted by a impromptu conversation with a woman walking in the same direction. Her name was Mai, she is a lawyer and was on her way home from work. Turned out her home is on the same road as my hotel. For such a brief meeting we had quite a philosophical conversation about optimism. Not quite sure how this came about(I hadn't mentioned my museum visit), but the conversation lifted my spirits considerably.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to follow your tour from the comfort of my armchair. The above numbers are shocking for a country so small.

    ReplyDelete