Thursday 12 January 2017

Hanoi to Danang - 12th January

Spent the night travelling from Hanoi to Danang by train, shared a cabin with a German couple and a young American guy. Went looking for food in the restaurant car(this part of the train had certainly seen better days). Large menu, but was told nothing available. A Thai tour guide came to my rescue and negotiated a bowl of noodles each, for the two of us and joined me for dinner. He leads tours when not teaching, he told me that he had a group of sixteen( mostly a English) on the train. He said a young woman in the group started to cry when she saw the inside of the train. I agree not quite a luxury express, but not really warranting tears.I suggested that if she is that sensitive it might be wise to keep her away from the restaurant car!! Okish sleep, (a bit like being on a rough weather overnight ferry on the Irish Sea). I don't think Vietnamese trains have the same level of stabilisation as European trains.

 Breakfast of two hard boiled eggs and a rice bun, with something strange in the middle (chose not to eat the filing). Bit of drama on the train when we hit something. Apparently it was a moped on a road crossing(so it's not just padestrian mopeds don't stop for, they dont stop for trains either!!!!! Saw the bike in the ditch next to the line, lots of commotion, but no ambulance, so assuming no injuries(not really sure if that was the outcome, but chosing to believe that scenario).
Arrived in Danang and was immediately abducted by a motorbike taxi, who tells me his name is 'Uncle Easy Rider' (of course it is). After a bit of negotiation on price I also used him for the afternoon to take me on a tour of China beach(US embarkation beach),marble mountain(lots of Pagodas and caves) and Hoan, a very picturesque town(a bit of a tourist trap)about 30k south of Da nang.
My visit to Hoan brought a highlight of the day. I was approached by a group of young students asking if it would be ok to talk to me for a while to practice their English. A little suspiciously, I agreed, preparing my self for some sort of sting in the tail that would involve money. Not at all, I spent a delightful time chatting to them about my trip and their lives, while they took notes for their teacher. It turns out they are part of a street programme that helps youngsters(I wasn't sure if they said Orphans) develop life and work skills. They are aged nineteen and twenty, two of them wanted to be chefs(they were thrilled to hear my son is a chef) and the others hoped to become waiters or waitresses. One had ambition to maybe own her own restaurant. They have my blog address so I hope they enjoy following my trip, if your reading this (I don't remember your names) thank you for our lovely time chatting.
Just had dinner, quite tasty and only £2.35 and now yet another ginger tea. These are quite addictive!!!

6 comments:

  1. All looking good Sally. Great to see some of places I've been to and your views on them. Looking forward to the Australia leg. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally doyle! We had the great video. My teachers really enjoyed it. Thanks for your enthusiasm to talk to us. Take care yourself and have a interesting trip in VietNam.
    My name is Buu. the boy is the last left of the picture.thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Buu and good luck with your studies.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous Sally.....I'm 'well jel', as they say! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, yes it's fabulous to see these places. Maybe the next one we'll plan together. Xxx

      Delete